LTP and Tyke Program
LTP and Tyke Programs 2023-2024
Calgary NorthWest Basketball offers two programs for kids 5-8yrs that introduces the sport of basketball. Both the LTP and Tyke programs are non-competitive skill development based programs. Both programs are mixed gender and provide athletes with basic basketball fundamentals through both drills and game play. As with all Calgary NorthWest Basketball programs, all of our program coaches are VOLUNTEERS, please consider this when signing up your child(ren).
LTP Age Group: 5-6 yrs, and is a mixed gender group
Tyke Age Group: 7-8yrs, and is a mixed gender group
- 1 hour practice sessions
- 10 to 12 sessions between mid September and late February
- Depending on gym availability sessions will be spread out
- Occasionally due to gym availability we may need to move a practice
- Choose your practice night - Monday, Tuesday or Friday (no LTP Fridays)
- Parents are asked to stay at practice in case their child needs help or needs to use the washroom - this allows coaches to focus on the practice
- One team manager, one head coach and five assistant coaches are required for each practice time - these volunteer spots can be filled by parents, friends, relatives - anyone with a love of the game!
- Each 1hr practice time will be split between skill development and game play.
- Our focus in these programs is skill development. Our game play will come in a variety of ways within the practice from, 3on2, 3on3 to 4on4 with variations from half court to full court depending on skill levels.
- Our focus is to teach basic skills in a fun environment.
- Up to 40 kids will be at each practice (in one gym) and split into groups of 8 to 10 with an assistant coach creating “mini teams” for practicing.
- Our LTP & Tyke programs are volunteer driven. With the age of players in these programs we require parent involvement to deliver a strong program.
- We have one “Head Coach” for the group of up to 40 kids who acts as the main contact & organizer. Five assistance coaches are also required to manage mini teams of 8-10 children and help with gaps.
- We are always in need of coaches for these programs. If you are interested in volunteering your time as a coach please indicate this under “Player Requests” or email the LTP & Tyke program coordinator.
- Coaches who sign up ahead of time are guaranteed a spot for their child in the program. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Participants will need indoor running shoes, gym attire & a water bottle
- A basketball and T-shirt will be provided
Indicate Practice Session:
- When registering you will be prompted to choose a practice session, if a session is full it will not be available for selection.
- Sessions will be filled on a first come first served basis. All of our gyms are in the NW of Calgary and we assign one to two gyms for the season but due to gym availability, this may change. The gyms we typically use for this program are Ranchlands School, WO Mitchell, Arbour Lake and West Dalhousie.
If you have any questions regarding these programs please contact our LTP & Tyke program coordinator at email@example.com